Sunday, November 20, 2016

Some Bumps in the Road for Holiday Travel

The weather looks a little more active during the week of Thanksgiving.  This means if you're traveling anywhere over the Midwest, you may encounter some bumpy weather.

The first in a series of storm systems arrives in the Midwest Tuesday and Tuesday night.  Ahead of a warm front temperatures will be gradually rising through the 30's into the low 40's by Tuesday evening.  Most of the precipitation should hold off until Tuesday evening in Northern Illinois when temperatures are above freezing.  This means rain should mostly fall.  Further north, temperatures will be very close to freezing allowing for either a mix or all snow to fall from Wisconsin to Minnesota.  If precipitation does occur a little sooner for Northern Illinois, it could briefly start off as a mix before transitioning to all rain.  Warm air arriving ahead of the low will maintain light showers Tuesday night into Wednesday morning.  Skies will begin to dry by Wednesday afternoon.

Possible impacts to some of the local interstates:

Tuesday:
I-35 Iowa to Minnesota - Wintry mix to snow showers
I-80 Illinois to Iowa - Rain showers
I-94 Wisconsin to Minnesota - Wintry mix
I-90 Rockford to Chicago - Light rain showers
I-39 Rockford to Bloomington - Light rain

Wednesday:
I-35 Iowa to Minnesota - Slight chance for a wintry mix
I-80 Illinois to Iowa - Rain showers
I-94 Wisconsin to Minnesota - Wintry mix
I-90 Rockford to Chicago - Rain showers
I-39 Rockford to Bloomington - Light rain

Thanksgiving day looks dry, but another low pressure system will be quick to move in by Thursday night.  This low will track a little further south than the previous low which will allow cooler air to be pulled southward.  By Thursday night, a mix of rain and snow could occur over Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin lasting into Friday morning.  If this forecast holds, it could cause some issues for Black Friday shoppers.

Possible impacts to some of the local interstates:

Thursday:
I-35 Iowa to Minnesota - Light mix late
I-80 Illinois to Iowa - Clear
I-94 Wisconsin to Minnesota - Clear
I-90 Rockford to Chicago - Clear
I-39 Rockford to Bloomington - Clear



Friday:
I-35 Iowa to Minnesota - Light snow
I-80 Illinois to Iowa - Wintry mix
I-94 Wisconsin to Minnesota - Wintry mix to snow showers
I-90 Rockford to Chicago - Wintry mix to rain showers
I-39 Rockford to Bloomington - Wintry mix to rain showers

High pressure moves back in Saturday before a weak cool front arrives Sunday.  Again temperatures will be bordering the freezing mark which may lead to a very light rain/snow mix during the morning and afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment