Friday, November 12, 2010

Soft Tires? Blame the Weather!

Just don't blame the weatherman! I was on my way out the door and off to work on Monday of this week when I noticed I had a flat tire. Since the tire was completely flat and it didn't need a patch to fill again, somone must have been mad at the weatherman and let the air out of my tire. (Maybe I missed the forecast for their last fall cookout?)

But that's besides the point of this post. The point that I want to make here is the weather itself can actually change the pressure in your tires! The temperature inside your tire changes at a much slower rate than that of the surrounding atmosphere. On a day that features a sharp drop in temperature, your tires may deflate some. That's because the cold air on the outside will exhibit higher pressure on your tire than the warmer air that preceeded it the day before. It works this way because cold air is "heavier", or more dense, than warm air and exhibits higher pressure. So as colder air arrives on Sunday, be sure to check your tire pressure!  --TS

No comments:

Post a Comment